5 out of 5 stars
I wanted to write and thank you. We recently ordered a JAFCO muzzle for our German Shepherd Kazan. In the past we would wear a typical cloth muzzle to take him to the vets and he would fight us every time we would put it on. We got the JAFCO muzzle a couple weeks ago and I followed the instructions that you showed on your DVD on how to get the dog acclimated to wearing a muzzle. I can't thank you enough. For the first time, he does not fight us to wear the muzzle. When I bring the muzzle out he'll go and sit down on the floor and allow me to put the muzzle on without any resistence. It's really amazing.
5 out of 5 stars
Just wanted to say a big thank-you for the excellent muzzle. I took my vet-anxious dog to the vet yesterday and while I can see we have a long way to go to desensitize him, the muzzle did a great job at keeping everyone safe and making it possible for my 90lb Rhodesian Ridgeback to get the medical attention he needed. Even the vet remarked on what a great product it was and asked where I got it.
JAFCO Regular Plastic Muzzles
The JAFCO Muzzle has been around for years. It is a plastic basket muzzle that offers a great deal of security. Many departments around the world use this muzzle for training protection dogs in muzzle work. We keep them in our kennel. The muzzle is easy to put on and easy to take off. They go on a lot easier than most muzzles.
If you are looking for a good utility muzzle that will last for years and years, this is your best choice. We use our JAFCO muzzles all the time here at Leerburg. They come in different sizes. So when you order, we need to know the breed, age, and sex of your dog to try and determine what size to send.
- White, black, or clear polyethylene plastic with reinforced rubber straps
- The clear plastic muzzle is softer and more flexible than the white or black style plastic muzzle. These muzzles are not designed for muzzle fighting training.
- Weight: Approximately 6 1/2 ounces
- Six different sizes in 2-strap style
- Six sizes, with two straps, fit most breeds
- Designed to be worn for extended periods without inhibiting the dog’s breathing, barking, panting and stress
- Dogs can drink with the muzzle on, using a water bowl or bucket. It is best to 'teach' your dog that it is ok to put the muzzle into the water before leaving the dog unattended for any period of time.
Fitting the Dog
- The vinyl nose piece should be just below the dog’s stop with the end of the muzzle touching the dog’s nose
- When on the dog:
- pull the muzzle out and down
- pull the muzzle out and up
- if it comes off, it’s either too loose or too big
- The muzzle should fit comfortably and allow the dog to pant and bark
Uses for the Muzzle
- Prevents wound licking
- Prevents eating rocks, garbage, poison, etc.
- Prevents injuries from dog fights
- Some transportation companies allow dogs if properly muzzled
- Helps with training of aggressive or problem dogs
- Six sizes available in the two strap style
- Size 0 is smallest & fits the small breeds
- Size 5 is largest & fits Great Danes, etc.
- The size is marked on the bottom of the muzzle
||Muzzle Circumference **
**Picking the Right Muzzle Size
There are a few things you need to know about sizing a muzzle for your dog.
- The muzzle CANNOT be LONGER than your dog’s actual "nose length." If the muzzle is longer than your dog's nose length, the muzzle will be in the dog's line of vision.
- The muzzle's circumference MUST be LARGER than your dog's "nose circumference." We recommend between 1 -3 inches larger than your dog's measurement. If the muzzle is the exact same size as your dog's nose, the dog won't be able to pant. It's mouth won't even be able to open. It is VERY important that you give your dog enough room to pant while wearing the muzzle.
We have a video on how to size your dog's muzzle. It is located above in the slider. Or you can switch to the "Videos" tab to watch the video. We also have a written version of sizing your muzzle.
If you are still unsure of the size to choose, measure your dog then call our office and we will do our best to help you decide the best style and size of muzzle for your dog.