ted efthymiadis
(Webboard User)
06/19/2007 01:04 PM
Your Fav Mal breeder?
I'm in the market for a Mal puppy. I live in Canada.

Looking to do French ring with this puppy.

Who is your fav Mal breeder?
steve strom
(Webboard User)
06/19/2007 01:14 PM
Re: Your Fav Mal breeder?
ted efthymiadis
(Webboard User)
06/19/2007 01:54 PM
yeah, thanks but no puppies till 2008 for Kaiserhaus
Carol Boche
(Webboard User)
06/19/2007 02:51 PM
The wait for Kaiserhaus is worth it from what I hear. smiley for :D
I have a Tarheel Canine (Jerry Bradshaw) girl myself who is a great little dog. LOTS of drive, attitude and focus.

Jennifer Coulter
(Webboard User)
06/19/2007 04:51 PM
 Quote:
yeah, thanks but no puppies till 2008 for Kaiserhaus

To wait for 6 months to a year is a short wait for a good dog in my opinion! If someone has a whole litter of pups available now with no waiting list I would be a little worried. That is the case in my breed anyways. Especially if the breeder does not know you or your experience with the breed in question.

Not intereseted in a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retreiver smiley for ;) That is where you are from eh?

I will watch this thread with interest, not sure how many will want to start rating breeders though. I am interested in a Mal pup possibly in 2012. I don't think it is too early to start looking smiley for ;)

Cheers and lucky you to have a mal pup in your future smiley for :)
Guest1
(Webboard User)
06/19/2007 05:06 PM
I took a look at a couple Kaiserhaus(es) when I picked up Eich.

I can't speak in great detail, but what it looked like, is that Cindy's vision of the Malinois is the analogue to Ed's vision of the GSD. Insane, stupid, idiot, dogs need not apply. Seemed balanced.

I will be taking a second look one day.
Carol Boche
(Webboard User)
06/19/2007 05:12 PM
 Quote: Carol Boche
The wait for Kaiserhaus is worth it from what I hear. smiley for :D
I have a Tarheel Canine (Jerry Bradshaw) girl myself who is a great little dog. LOTS of drive, attitude and focus.

I got my Mali before knowing about Kaiserhaus, not that I would have chosen differently, but I may have ended up with two given I passed Kaiserhaus requirements. hee hee smiley for :D
Ingrid Rosenquist
(Webboard User)
06/19/2007 06:17 PM
From everything I have heard Kaiserhaus is putting out really nice malis :-) However another breeder that I always throw out there is Michael Ellis and Lisa Maze of Loups du Soleil ( http://www.loupsdusoleil.com ). I really like their dogs. There is also Ivan Balabanov ( http://www.malinois.com/otvitosha )
Will Rambeau
(Moderator)
06/19/2007 07:41 PM
Man, I sound like a "me too" voice here but my Kaiserhaus Mal, "Buttercup" was a joy to own and train.

He's a PPD now with a well-heeled owner who talked me out of him by giving me a blank check. Literally..... smiley for :o
Despite all that....I miss that silly goober every day - that dog brought me a lot of joy.
Cindy Easton Rhodes
(Moderator)
06/19/2007 10:23 PM
I just saw this thread. thanks you guys for the nice compliments.

I have to agree about Loups du Soleil as one of my favorites as well. My last litter was from a Loups du Soleil bred dog, and Buttercup's dear sweet mother. LOL smiley for :)

Jackson (the dad of my last litter) obtained his Mondioring 3 title on sunday and we were very happy to be there to see his performance. This dog is something else. He was French Ring 3 by 3 years old and bites like no dog I have ever seen in my life, yet is the epitome of stable nerves and temperament. I only hope my little Dante has a fraction of dad's drive and grip. smiley for :)

I plan on breeding Raine to him this winter or next spring, and possibly repeating the breeding with Aera.

Congratulations to our friend Donna Matey for doing such a great job with Jackson. She is someone I hold in very high regard as a trainer and handler. I am proud to call her a friend as well. smiley for :) Also congratulations to Micheal Ellis and Lisa Maze for the great "J" litter.
ted efthymiadis
(Webboard User)
06/19/2007 10:49 PM
Thanks, I have a few great options, Arek here in Canada I have heard is great, and less of a flight for the pup.

Kaiserhaus I have only heard great things, and the pups are great looking. Keep up the good work!

I'll keep you updated!

ted
Johan Engelen
(Webboard User)
06/20/2007 04:58 AM
These are good lines at the moment in NVBK

van 't muizenbos
van het beenhouwerke (Eriem champion cat 3 and 2 and now a serious contendor for championship cat 1 and only 5 years old)
van het eendenhof (chipie a good studdog only disadvantage his sons inherrit his grey muzzle (they are born black but "age" fast) line with scaramouche)
van spalbeek (lots of breeding with Eriem)
van het groentenhof (seen some nice dogs don't know the lines in detail)

Greetings

Johan
scott dunmore
(Webboard User)
06/20/2007 06:48 AM
Another post repeating what everyone has been saying about Kaiserhaus and Loups du Soleil dogs, I'm afraid!
I've seen a few Kaiserhaus dogs working at seminars and one who is owned locally (north-east) and all have been very impressive. I think Cindy must work hard at finding good placements for her dogs, as well, because all of the handlers were skilled and clearly strongly bonded with their dogs.
I've just got a new LdS puppy, so i'm obviously biased, but this dog and the many others that I've seen work are great representatives of the breed. Also, I've received excellent follow-up and training advice from the breeders. I think this is especially important with a breed like a malinois.
Here's few photos:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a333/scottdunmore/Tjaatja2.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a333/scottdunmore/Tjaatja3.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a333/scottdunmore/Tjaatja.jpg
ted efthymiadis
(Webboard User)
06/20/2007 09:06 AM
 Quote: scott dunmore
Another post repeating what everyone has been saying about Kaiserhaus and Loups du Soleil dogs, I'm afraid!
I've seen a few Kaiserhaus dogs working at seminars and one who is owned locally (north-east) and all have been very impressive. I think Cindy must work hard at finding good placements for her dogs, as well, because all of the handlers were skilled and clearly strongly bonded with their dogs.
I've just got a new LdS puppy, so i'm obviously biased, but this dog and the many others that I've seen work are great representatives of the breed. Also, I've received excellent follow-up and training advice from the breeders. I think this is especially important with a breed like a malinois.
Here's few photos:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a333/scottdunmore/Tjaatja2.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a333/scottdunmore/Tjaatja3.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a333/scottdunmore/Tjaatja.jpg

Such a good looking pup!!!!!!!!!

thanks for all the info!

ted
Bruce O'Handley
(Webboard User)
06/20/2007 10:42 AM
Does anyone know about Von Asgard kennels and the Mal's they produce? http://www.vonasgard.com

I have heard some very good things about their Doberman's, but have yet to hear anything about their mals. They have some nice looking Mals, especially the black ones of KNPV lines. But, what is their overall temperament and quality like?
Andrew May
(Webboard User)
06/20/2007 11:08 AM
Brigita Brinac, breeder of Cindy Rhodes' Reine, should be considered.

I have seen her young stud Qain in action and was very impressed by his extreme drives combined with social stability and good nature.

I met him right after coming off the protection field, where he showed extreme drive to the sleeve. He was instantly stable, pushy, friendly.

Qain is out of Jason, who is a proven producer.

My discussions with Ms. Brinac led me to conclude she will attend to issues of imprinting and early conditioning in a diligent, intelligent manner.

http://www.fd-malinois.com/

rgds, andrew may
ted efthymiadis
(Webboard User)
06/21/2007 08:02 AM
Thanks Andrew and Bruce!

Anyone know anything about David Robertson from
San Antonio, TX ?

He's selling a few pups. I'm thinking about picking up a 6 month old Black Mal puppy from him.
ted efthymiadis
(Webboard User)
06/21/2007 08:04 AM
Here is the link to the pup. What do you guys and gals think of the Black Mal?

http://www.alamoelitek9.com/for-sale.htm
Carol Boche
(Webboard User)
06/21/2007 08:58 AM
Ted,

What are your plans for a Malinois pup? I am just curious as I like a good looking dog, however, I look at structure, temperament and drives first...... smiley for :)
ted efthymiadis
(Webboard User)
06/21/2007 09:07 AM
Carol,

I'm looking for a dog with good nerves, good drive, and a strong willingness to work and learn.

I'd like to do french ring, and also personal protection with this dog.

I really want a dog that will be solid and will not go into avoidance right away. Basically I am looking for a dog that will not back down if confronted with danger.
Carol Boche
(Webboard User)
06/21/2007 09:21 AM
Cool.... smiley for :D

ted efthymiadis
(Webboard User)
06/21/2007 09:56 AM
http://www.fd-malinois.com/ is also in Canada, could be an option!

thanks

Andrew May
(Webboard User)
06/21/2007 08:05 PM
If you are interested in Fr. ring, Brigita is certainly worth considering as she trains even her Schutzhund dogs in Ring, and has titled and trialed to in ringsport.

I would select sport considering whether a club is nearby. Although Fundy is not too close, they may be the closest club with high level trainers.

There are at least two Ot Vitosha Mals in the Fundy club.

good luck.
ted efthymiadis
(Webboard User)
06/22/2007 07:29 AM
It's not feasable for me to make the trip to fundy (5 hours) everytime I want to train.

I did conteact them, and I will go check them out, but ready French ring is what I want to do.

thanks for the input!
Donna Matey
(Webboard User)
06/25/2007 12:38 PM
Cindy,

I was thrilled to have you and Ed at the trial cheering Jackson and I on to his Mondioring 3 title. I can't believe he earned the highest score ever for a MR3 dog in the US. I was very proud of him! I can't wait to see Dante, and the rest of the litter, follow in their Father's footsteps.

Warm Regards,
Donna Matey & Jackson du Loups du Soleil FR3 MR3
Cindy Easton Rhodes
(Moderator)
06/25/2007 01:01 PM
Woo hoo, Donna finally got registered for the board.

smiley for :)I was just sending you an email.

Here is a link to a great photo of Jackson at the MR trial where he obtained his MR3. http://leerburg.com/table.htm
DO NOT touch Jack's life preserver. smiley for :grin:
Photo was taken by Ed.
Eric Read
(Webboard User)
06/25/2007 01:52 PM
as great as that picture is, its nothing like seeing it in person, it's rather intense. Very nice dog, and great job Donna and Jackson.
Kevin J Tikivik
(Webboard User)
06/25/2007 02:15 PM
oh mahn five hours would be a blessing. i would go evrey weekend. i have to take a $1700.00 dollar 3 hour flight to Ottawa then rent a van for two weeks and drive at least 10 hours to my final destination.
 Quote: ted efthymiadis
It's not feasable for me to make the trip to fundy (5 hours) everytime I want to train.

I did conteact them, and I will go check them out, but ready French ring is what I want to do.

thanks for the input!
Andrew May
(Webboard User)
06/25/2007 02:56 PM
Ted:

I agree it would be difficult to travel 5 hours to train with a schutzhund club, and title a dog in Schutzhund 1-2-3.

I suppose you'd likely make it to Fundy once a month or twice month, during which you'd have access to one of the leading training directors in schutzhund in the continent, and be among a core group of very effective dog trainers, several with multiple Sch. III dogs.

The rest of the time you'd be on your own or training with a friend or two in Hfx.

Under these conditions, to title a schutzhund dog would be a very impressive achievement.

IMO it would be even more difficult to train French Ring in a city without a club at all nearby and no one around to point out all the many and varied ways mistakes can be made training dogs.

If you were successful at getting a Fr. Ring title on a dog under these conditions, I would be amazed and very impressed.

If it were me, I'd be giving serious thought to running that Kelpie in agility in Hfx. and learn about training dogs in drive that way before getting another dog. I'm presuming there is an agility club in Halifax?

One reason is, that if you are interested in success at something, it is better to focus on one dog. Very few inexperienced trainers have the time to train two dogs successfully.

I am presuming Ted that you are like me and haven't titled any dog in a high level sport to date. If I'm wrong, my apologies.

I'm also presuming that you are interested in success in your chosen canine sport. If your criteria are different, well so be it.

honest advice,

rgds andrew (the guy 8 hours away from a schutzhund club, who has failed his BH twice with his Beauceron, and hasn't even tried with his cattle dog)
ted efthymiadis
(Webboard User)
06/26/2007 07:15 AM
Thanks Andrew, I like your input.

At this point, I am not concerned about about gaining titles in french ring.

Phoenix is my first dog, I have little training, but we have come so far since I picked him up from the SPCA after being in the shelter for 4 months.
When I got him he had so many problems, Lord he was a problem dog.

After only a few months I had him walking downtown Halifax no leash doing commands, doing jumps. I tought him to heel in two sessions.

Anyways in closing, thanks for all your advice, I often think about waiting until I know more about training, but then I look at my life an realize I have learned almost everything I know by doing it myself first and learning the skill.

Sch and ring sports are not even on my radar right now, I am more interested in trainging the excercises in french ring, but not to get titles and win events.

much love -ted