If you are a student of marker training or interested in marker training you will love Michael Ellis’ approach to this work. Because the system is founded in markers there is a very minimal amount of force used in our training. It is our belief that a dog should not be force trained to retrieve.
We recommend the viewer have an understanding of marker training before beginning this work. This is all covered in the earlier DVDs we have done with Michael Ellis.
In our opinion, no one is ever going to reinvent a better training system on teaching a dog to retrieve than what we have detailed in this training DVD. Michael’s system can be used for AKC obedience, for Schutzhund trainers, for any of the ring sport trainers and even field trial retriever enthusiasts.
- Opening Lecture on the Steps of Training the Retrieve
- Pattern retrieving games
- Step One - Holding the Dog's Muzzle
- Students Learning the Hold
- Training the Dog to Hold and Object
- Retraining Older Dogs to Hold
- Review of Training Steps Before Pickup Training
- Trouble Shooting the Hold
- When to use a Tug Reward
- Training the Pickup
- Introducing the Dog to the Tossed Dumbbell
- When to Mark the Pickup
- Proofing the Exercise
- Free Shaping
- Advance Training - Introducing New Retrieve Objects
- Two Lectures on Michael Reviewing the Retrieve
- What to do when the Dog doesn't Pick up Retrieve Object