Focused Heeling with Michael Ellis
04-01-2011 -- 3 Hours, 53 Minutes, 56 Seconds
If you purchase this video as a streaming video, you will receive a coupon code that allows you to purchase the DVD disc for at discounted price.
This is our third in the Michael Ellis series of training DVDs. We feel it's the best one yet. The training information in this video is revolutionary in the world of dog training.
Michael's motivational system of training dogs is based in marker training. You can visit the FREE streaming video section of our web site and listen to Michael's 7 part lecture on his method of dog training.
The foundation for the work in this focused heeling DVD is covered in the 9 1/2 hours of instruction featured in our two earlier DVDs that were done with Michael.
The Power of Training Dogs with Food
The Power of Playing Tug with Your Dog
The old "yank and crank" methods of training heeling have gone by the wayside. The fact is a good portion of the training in this DVD can be done without a leash and without corrections. In fact introducing corrections are the very last step in focused heeling.
OUTLINE of FOCUSED HEELING DVD:
The Need for Engagement
- When to start training
- Terms of the training
Muscle Memory Heeling
Step 1 - head position along a barrier
Step 2 - Fading the Lure hand
Step 3 - Putting focus on Cue
- What when and why to teach your dog to "give to pressure"
- When to start introducing leash pressure
- Training the Back-Up on a verbal cue
- Increase the focus and distance of straight line heeling
- Heel off the wall
When to use Food vs a Toy Reward for Heeling
- When and why do you move from a food rewards to a toy rewards
- Choosing the dogs focal point on your body
- How to retrain a dog that has been started in other training systems
Training Turns while Heeling
- When to start training turns
- Use of touch pads in teaching the turn
- Using a physical cue along with a verbal cue in teaching turns
- Left turns
- Right turns
- About turns
Training the Finish
- The types of finishes used in heeling your dog and how they vary
- How to layer teaching the finish into your heeling program
Find the Left Leg
- Fine tune your dogs position by training "Find the Left leg exercises"
Outtakes - Otherwise known as "Oooops!! We didn't get that take right!" :-)
We feel that the work in this DVD is revolutionary. I started going to competitive training seminars in 1974 and have never stopped. I have never been exposed to concepts that even come close to the work in this DVD.
Training dogs to give to pressure is revolutionary in the field of dog training. It teaches young dogs how to live with stress. The concept of "learning how to give to pressure" has been around for years in horse training, no one has introduced it into the world of dog training like Michael Ellis.
On Demand, Michael Ellis, Leerburg Training DVDs, Dog Sport, Obedience Training, Training, Schutzhund